Wednesday Recipe – Easy Creamy Baked ZitiFebruary 7, 2018
- 1lb ziti pasta + 2 tsp oil + 1 tsp salt for water
- 1 15oz container whole milk ricotta cheese
- 48 ounces jarred pasta sauce (2 jars)
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red peppers
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 8oz package cream cheese, chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Boil pasta according to directions on package. Add salt and oil to boiling water. Drain well.
- Add pasta back to pot, add in ricotta cheese and coat completely. Set aside.
- Prep sauce. Pour sauce into small pot. Chop herbs, garlic, and onion. Add salt to sauce. Stir in dry spices. Simmer on low heat for 12-15 minutes to cook onion and garlic.
- Add in cream cheese cubes. Stir until it melts into sauce.
- Pour sauce over pasta. Coat completely. Stir in a few handfuls mozzarella cheese.
- Pour pasta into foil pan or casserole dish. Top with remaining mozzarella.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until cheese has browned.
If you’d like it less creamy, use 1/2 block cream cheese or substitute plain Greek yogurt. If spiciness is a concern, omit crushed peppers and cayenne pepper.
Author: Alica Ramkirpal-Senhouse